- Date: Saturday, 30 January 2021
- Instructor: Cedric Reeves
- Cost: Sliding scale
This one-day retreat we will focus on Tong Len, a Tibetan compassion practice. Tong Len is said to include the four sublime emotions: Loving Kindness, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy, and Equanimity. It also is a training in the practice of generosity, ethics, tolerance, effort, concentration and wisdom, all at once.
- One-day Online Meditation Retreat: 10 hours, 30 mins total.
- Live online sessions: The live sessions will be hosted on Zoom. An email with the zoom links will be sent to you after you have registered.
- Q&A: There will be opportunity to ask questions during the Q&A section.
Attendance & Recordings
- View at your own pace: The event will be recorded and sent out to registered participants for viewing on your own schedule.
- Partial attendance is fine - however you get best results if you attend all sessions.
- Late Starts: You can join even after it has started, and you will get access to all the recordings.
The retreat runs for 10 hours, 30 mins total. Partial attendance is perfectly fine.
|35 mins||Guided Meditation|
Compassion is a universal human virtue. However, the training that I’ve done in compassion has been in a Buddhist context. As a result I teach compassion and compassion meditation using Buddhist concepts and terms. You do not have to be a Buddhist in order to take this course.
The suggested practice is Tong Len. Tong Len is a Tibetan compassion practice.
Tong Len is said to include four sublime emotions: Loving Kindness, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy, and Equanimity. It also is a training in the practice of generosity, ethics, tolerance, effort, concentration and wisdom, all at once.
Practice instructions will be given in the lecture in the first hour. Loving-kindness meditation (Metta) is a good alternative as compassion practice can be very intense, at times.
We’ll do a guided forgiveness meditation at the beginning of the retreat to soften the mind.
Second Lecture and Guided Meditation
A second lecture will another opportunity for questions and answer. Additionally we’ll discuss the desire to awaken for the benefit of others. Moreover, we will discuss how and why compassion is a natural and necessary outcome of deep and proper spiritual practice.
Brief walking meditation instruction will be offered. Most hours will consist of a 20 minute walking meditation session and a 40 minute seated meditation session.
I’ll guide an hour long Yoga session. The Yoga routine will be made up of two sequences. The first is based on the “how to grow a lotus” sequence which is specifically designed to help with long meditation sitting. The second sequence is Tibetan Sun Moon Yoga which supports deep meditative experience. So bring a Yoga mat.
The retreat is suitable for beginners
Tong Len is a safe practice for beginners. But, it can be kinda weird if you aren’t used to it. Metta (loving-kindness) or breath/concentration practice should be used if Tong Len starts to get more difficult.
The schedule is similar to a Zen retreat schedule. We’ll chant the Metta Sutta.
There will be time for Q&A and spot coaching.
We will be doing deep work. For that reason please feel free to take a break at any point.
Who is this for?
This program is for those of us who...
- is looking to improve their psychological health, especially those who have tried other healing modalities with disappointing results.
- has problems with exploration and self development, relationships and emotional regulation
- wants to optimise their psychological health
- wants to understand the early foundations of their psychological development
Registration has closed.
Please note: This program is offered for educational purposes only and is not group-therapy, counselling or any kind of other psychotherapy, nor is it a substitute for the aforementioned. Cedric Reeves the instructor is a meditation teacher, not a psychotherapist, counsellor, or otherwise therapist.