Many of us have done years of healing work: therapy, meditation, etc. Yet all we have to show for it is symptom management (incremental change).
In this workshop, we will identify our deeply held negative felt-sense beliefs and the behaviors (symptoms) that they drive. Then we'll repattern them in a series of guided meditations to bring about memory reconsolidation (transformational change). We will also be doing chair-work on the coping modes (neurotic symptoms/behaviors).
Specifically we'll look at our:
* Overcompensation Modes
* Avoidance Modes
* Compliant Surrender Modes
Who is this for?
- People with .
- Program: 5 sessions of 50 minutes each.
- Live Online Sessions: The live sessions will be hosted on Zoom. An email with the zoom links will be sent to you after you have registered.
- Q&A: There will be opportunity to ask questions during the Q&A section.
Attendance & Recordings
- Partial attendance is fine - however you get best results if you attend all sessions.
- Late Starts: You can join even after it has started.
- View at your own pace: The event will be recorded and sent out to registered participants for viewing on your own schedule.
This program is suitable for beginners to meditation and healing work.
- What negative felt-beliefs underlie them
- beliefs about self
- beliefs about world/others
- What caused these negative beliefs in childhood
- How the different parts interact with the rest of our personality
- How and when these parts obstruct our life,
- We'll also develop motivation to do the deep work to address them
- Surrender parts
- Avoidant parts
- Overcompensation parts
- Vulnerable child parts
- Angry child parts
- Demanding and punitive internalized parent parts (introjects)
- Healthy adult part
- Happy and creative child parts
Psycho-EducationWe will start with a brief lecture on
- What are felt-sense beliefs (schemas): how emotional memory is different from cognitive/episodic memory
- How these negative felt sense beliefs make up the component parts of insecure attachment
- How to bring about deep positive change through permanent memory reconsolidation (Ecker, et al),
- How the pain of the negative felt-sense beliefs are what drive the maladaptive parts (modes) and how repatterning the felt-sense beliefs naturally unwind the negative parts.
- How mentalization (meta cognition, perspective taking, wisdom, etc) also fits in to leading a well adaptive and happy life.
Guided MeditationThe bulk of the program will be guided meditations to
- Identify and understand the negative parts and maladaptive felt-beliefs
- Heal them with a calibrated corrective experience in the guided visualization meditation.
Methods UsedThe content of draws from the Schema Therapy frame work. Schema Therapy was developed by Jeffrey Young in response to his frustration with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy's poor results in treating personality disorders (Young, et al, 2003). We will also draw on Attachment Theory, Bruce Ecker's model of Emotional Coherence and Memory Reconsolidation, and Ideal Parent Figure Protocol, developed by Dan Brown, which has been found to be effective for moving people with insecure attachment to secure attachment after repeated sessions.
There will be time for Q&A and spot coaching during the live event. The Q&A recording will not be made available thereafter. If you do not attend live, you will not have access to the Q&A.
We will be doing deep work. For that reason please feel free to take a break at any point.
Who is this for?
This program is for those of us who...
- Are looking to improve our psychological health, especially those who have tried other healing modalities with disappointing results.
- Have problems with exploration and self development, relationships and emotional regulation
- Want to improve our psychological health
- Want to understand the early foundations of our psychological development
Shared interest and social support can make meditation practice, study, and healing much easier. Make friends in the course on the slack channel and invite friends who you think could benefit to participate in the course.
These are some of the benefits you will have by the end of the program
- The importance of your personal explorations as a source for meaning in your life and more clarity on how to proceed in life towards those explorations and goals.
- Understanding of how insecure attachment and the underlying negative felt-beliefs contribute to serious psychological problems like personality and trauma disorders
- More understanding of the modes/parts from a schema therapy perspective like:
- Demanding internalized parent voices
- Overcompensation modes like “workaholic mode”, or “self-aggrandizer mode”
- Avoidance detached modes like the “detached self-soother” and the “spaced out fantasy mode”
- Compliant surrender mode
- Vulnerable child mode
- Healthy Adult mode (which results out of the vulnerable child getting its needs met)
- Less identification with your psychological maladies and quirks (ego-dystonia with your maladaptive schemas).
- A better ability to observe your mind with meta-cognitive awareness as a result of the mentalization exercises peppered through the guided meditations.
- Better able to do emotional regulation on the spot in your daily life with ‘micro-hits’ of "Perfect Nurturer" meditation.
- Less blame of self or others.
- More understanding and compassion towards your parts/modes and needs.
For your relationships
- Better appreciation for the importance and value of interpersonal collaboration
- More valuing of attachment
- A sense that your need for connection is valid
- Better understanding of how to nurture others
- Opportunities to find accountability partners to meditate with
- A sense of camaraderie as a result of seeing how our psychological difficulties are rooted in common experiences that affect us all.
- Slack group with which to discuss and share experiences and consolidate what you are learning
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are experiencing any technical issues relating to accessing the material or live sessions, please get in touch with us. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
We can be reached with our online contact form.
This is what participants of prior workshops have to say:
Thank you for continuing to make these classes. When I am able to attend, they make a really positive contribution to my mental health :)
Registration has closed.
The recording is available in our Store:
Please note: What is on offer here is meditation coaching, not psychotherapy or counseling.