- Date: Saturday, 14th May 2022
- Instructor: Cedric Reeves
- Cost: Sliding scale
Join us for this retreat where we will recognize our fearful and aggressive parts as adaptive responses to an unsafe environment of the past, and in meditation have a deep "lived, emotionally corrective experience" of safety and protection (memory reconsolidation).
The intended outcome is to bring about greater ease, trust, and well-being into our adults lives.
This program is for people who have developmental or non-developmental trauma.
Who is this for?
- For people who want to go from insecure to secure attachment.
- Suitable for anyone new to attachment-work, or is already experienced.
- People with Fearful-Avoidant / Disorganized Attachment.
- For people who are willing to do the work to get results
The retreat runs for 8 hours, 30 mins total. Partial attendance is perfectly fine.
This program is suitable for beginners to meditation and healing work.
This program focuses on healing developmental trauma. The primary aim of the course is to feel safe and protected in an embodied way while being reparented by the perfect nurturers (imaginary parent-like figures).
Going over the basics of attachment and what causes developmental trauma.
The difference between developmental trauma and later, non-developmental trauma.
Looking at the core schemas of disorganized attachment:
- mistrust & abuse
- defectiveness & shame
- enmeshment & underdeveloped self
Looking at the tumultuous structure changing or switching between self-states that is coming within disorganized attachment from a parts work perspective (schema modes).
List of guided meditation practices:
- safety grounding embodiment exercises
- to combat depersonalization and derealization symptoms (DPDR)
- creation of perfect nurturers with emphasize on their ability to protect you
- agency / self-efficacy as counterbalanced to fear and lack of safety
- SRM on mistrust and abuse schemas
- recognising all the schemas listed above
- getting comfortable with healthy touch / identifying healthy touch
- Recognizing our fearful and aggressive parts as adaptive responses to an unsafe environment and now, in the present, as adults giving those parts a “lived, emotionally corrective experience” of safety and protection
This meditation course draws on:
- Attachment Theory (Bowlby, Ainsworth, et al)
- Ideal Parent Figure Protocol (Brown, et al)
- Inner Child Work (Bradshaw, et al)
- Schema Therapy (Young, et al)
- Coherence Therapy (Ecker, et al)
- Mentalization-Based Treatment (Fonagy, et al)
- Metacognitive Therapy (DiMaggio, et al.)
- Buddhist Visualization Practices
- Mindfulness Practice
- Adult Attachment Interview (Main, et al)
We also draw on Ideal Parent Figure Protocol, developed by Dan Brown, which has been found to be effective for moving people with insecure attachment to secure attachment after repeated sessions, as well as Chairwork (Moreno, Perls, Kellogg).
There will be time for Q&A and spot coaching.
We will be doing deep work. For that reason please feel free to take a break at any point.
Walking Meditation / Breaks / Journalling
Most hours will consist of a 20 minute walking meditation session and a 40 minute seated guided meditation session. The walking meditation sessions will serve to help integrate the previous guided meditation session. Brief walking meditation instruction will be offered. Alternatively these 20 minute sessions can be used to journal or to just take a break. All three will help you integrate the previous guided meditation session.
Who is this for?
This program is for those of us who...
- Want to become more joyous
- Want to enjoy meditation more
- Are looking to improve our psychological health, especially those who have tried other healing modalities with disappointing results.
- Have problems with exploration and self development, relationships and emotional regulation
- Want to optimise our psychological health
- Want to understand the early foundations of our psychological development
- Shared interest and social support can make meditation practice, study, and healing much easier.
- Make friends in the course on the slack channel and invite friends who you think could benefit to participate in the course.
These are some of the benefits you will have by the end of the program
- A basic understanding of attachment theory and how to start doing it.
- A more coherent understanding of the role your childhood experiences had in producing your adult personality.
- A better sense for the importance of your personal explorations as a source for meaning in your life and more clarity on how to proceed in life towards those explorations and goals.
- A full day of attachment repair meditation that will start moving you towards a secure attachment conditioning and a greater ability to do self-development and explore what is personally meaningful to you.
- A very effective way to do emotional regulation on the spot in your daily life with ‘micro-hits’ of Schema Repatterning Meditation.
- A better ability to observe your mind with metacognitive awareness as a result of the mentalization exercises peppered through the guided meditations.
- Better understanding of your own relationship shortcomings and how to remedy them.
- Less identification with your psychological maladies and quirks (ego-distonia with your maladaptive schemas).
For your relationships
- Greater understanding and compassion for psychological problems and vulnerabilities that effect yours and others.
- Less blame of self or others.
- A sense of camaraderie as a result of seeing how our psychological difficulties are rooted in common experiences that affect us all.
- Better appreciation for the importance and value of interpersonal collaboration generally and especially as it relates to supporting you do the explorations that.
- Opportunities to find accountability partners to meditate with
- Slack group with which to discuss and share experiences and consolidate what you are learning
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are experiencing any technical issues relating to accessing the material or live sessions, please get in touch with us. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
We can be reached with our online contact form.
This is what participants of prior retreats have to say:
Thank you for this beautiful retreat. Feels like this is what I needed in the moment.
Thank you for continuing to make these classes. When I am able to attend, they make a really positive contribution to my mental health :)
Cedric I would just like to say thanks for your wisdom and knowledge of attachment issues and repair. The work you are doing really helps me and I have never come across anything as transformative for me as your meditations. Thank you so much.
Great retreat, thank you so much Cedric. There is something special about Tonglen and using it with the schemas feels so healing. I feel hopeful and inspired to keep working with Tonglen.
Registration has closed.
The recording is available in our Store:
Please note: This program is offered for educational purposes only and is not group-therapy, counselling or any kind of other psychotherapy, nor is it a substitute for the aforementioned. The instructor Cedric Reeves is a meditation teacher, not a psychotherapist, counsellor, or otherwise therapist.