- Date: Saturday, 23rd Jul 2022
- Instructor: Cedric Reeves
- Cost: Sliding scale
Join us for this workshop where we will bring awareness and understanding to the beliefs that inform compulsive caretaking and disconfirm them with targeted meditation.
The intended outcome is to gain freedom from limiting beliefs.
This program is for people who are codependent or have preoccupied attachment.
Who is this for?
- For anyone who wants to go from insecure to secure attachment.
- Suitable for anyone new to attachment-work, or is already experienced.
- People with Insecure Attachment.
- For anyone who is willing to do the work to get results
This workshop will run twice in order to be accessible to people in different time zones. The content is exactly the same. You will get the access details for both after signing up.
23rd Jul 2022
This program is suitable for beginners to meditation and healing work.
This half-day workshop will focus on working through negative early attachment conditioning especially as it relates to codependency and other-directedness. We will approach this from attachment theory and attachment repair perspectives.
We see insecure attachment as a pattern of beliefs made by emotional memories. We will explore these beliefs and how we can set new patterns through meditation.
Attachment Theory describes one of the earliest phases of our psychological development. It describes the behaviours of the infant from ages 6 months to three years of age when it ventures away from the caregiver to explore and then goes back to seek safety, affection, and care from the ‘secure base’. These early experiences imprint on us forming emotional memories (schemas) that go on to condition many aspects of life thereafter.
According to Jeffery Young “An early maladaptive schema is a pervasive self-defeating or dysfunctional theme or pattern of memories, emotions, and physical sensations, developed during childhood or adolescence and elaborated throughout one’s lifetime, that often has the form of a belief about the self or the world.” Jeffrey Young also calls the schemas “life traps”.
We’ll do guided meditations that address traits of preoccupied attachment which cause us to be overly concerned with other people. These will include:
- Perfect Nurturer Reinforcement – Visualizing loving imaginary figures that model secure attachment
- Schema Repatterning Meditation – Bringing up and disconfirming relevant schemas (limiting beliefs), including those of:
- Self Sacrifice
- Self Subjugation
- Approval Seeking and Attention Seeking
(These 3 schemas comprise the Other-Directedness schema domain of Schema Therapy)
Additionally we’ll do “chairwork” on our self-sacrificying parts to understand them better. We will see how based on our deeply held “emotional knowings” that there is a part of us that believes that “compulsive care taking is necessary. Then we’ll have an emotionally corrective experience so that we no longer experience the self sacrifice as necessary.
There will be time for Q&A and spot coaching.
We will be doing deep work. For that reason please feel free to take a break at any point.
There will be a few breaks for walking meditation, and brief instructions will be given.
Who is this for?
This program is for those of us who...
- Want to become more joyous
- Want to enjoy meditation more
- Are looking to improve our psychological health, especially those who have tried other healing modalities with disappointing results.
- Have problems with exploration and self development, relationships and emotional regulation
- Want to optimise our psychological health
- Want to understand the early foundations of our psychological development
Shared interest and social support can make meditation practice, study, and healing much easier. Make friends in the course on the slack channel and invite friends who you think could benefit to participate in the course.
These are some of the benefits you will have by the end of the program
- Better understanding of schemas and how they affect you.
- Seeing that what you want matters.
- Overview of attachment and how it relates to codependency.
- Lived experience of knowing compulsive caregiving is not necessary.
- Less identification with your psychological maladies and quirks (ego-dystonia with your maladaptive schemas).
- A better ability to observe your mind with metacognitive awareness as a result of the mentalization exercises peppered through the guided meditations.
- Better able to do emotional regulation on the spot in your daily life with ‘micro-hits’ of meditation.
- Less blame of self or others.
For your relationships
- Permission to take care of yourself.
- Better appreciation for the importance and value of interpersonal collaboration.
- Stronger ability to connect from a place of security instead of anxiety.
- Opportunities to find accountability partners to meditate with
- A sense of camaraderie as a result of seeing how our psychological difficulties are rooted in common experiences that affect us all.
- Slack group with which to discuss and share experiences and consolidate what you are learning
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are experiencing any technical issues relating to accessing the material or live sessions, please get in touch with us. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
We can be reached with our online contact form.
This is what participants of prior Workshops have to say:
Thank you for continuing to make these classes. When I am able to attend, they make a really positive contribution to my mental health :)
Registration has closed.
The recording is available in our Store:
Please note: This program is offered for educational purposes only and is not group-therapy, counselling or any kind of other psychotherapy, nor is it a substitute for the aforementioned. The instructor Cedric Reeves is a meditation teacher, not a psychotherapist, counsellor, or otherwise therapist.