- Date: Sunday, 7th Aug 2022
- Instructor: Cedric Reeves
- Cost: Sliding scale
Join us for this retreat where we will find and confront the situations and people used by our own inner critic. These can manifest as demanding parent, punitive parent, and guilt-inducing parent voices.
The intended outcome is to have freedom from introjections (negative attitudes of others that we unconsciously adopt).
Who is this for?
- Anyone who has experienced excessive criticism from others, habitually puts themselves down for their mistakes, or struggles with attachment related issues.
- Suitable for anyone new to attachment-work, or is already experienced.
- People with Insecure Attachment.
- For people who are willing to do the work to get results
The retreat runs for 5 hours total. Partial attendance is perfectly fine.
This program is suitable for beginners to meditation and healing work.
This program focuses on encountering the sources of our internalized critical voices and confronting them. These can be events from childhood, people in our lives, or beliefs we have about the world. In confronting them we will practice chair-work (parts-work) on each voice, and use Schema Repatterning Meditation (SRM) as a way to take our power back.
SRM, the main technique that we’ll use, is influenced by Jeffrey Young’s Schema Therapy approach, Dan Brown and David Elliot’s Ideal Parent Figure Protocol (IPF), and Bruce Ecker’s Schema Therapy, Laurel Hulley, and Robin Ticic’s Coherence Therapy.
According to Jeffery Young “An early maladaptive schema is a pervasive self-defeating or dysfunctional theme or pattern of memories, emotions, and physical sensations, developed during childhood or adolescence and elaborated throughout one’s lifetime, that often has the form of a belief about the self or the world.” Jeffrey Young also calls the schemas “life traps”.
Ideal Parent Figure Protocol (IPF)
Ideal Parent Figure Protocol, developed by Dan Brown, is a visualization technique that has been found to be effective for moving people with insecure attachment to secure attachment after repeated sessions.
Giving voice to parts of ourselves and entering into dialogue with them.
Coherence Therapy views psychological symptoms as coherently produced based on a person’s view of the world.
We’ll do guided meditations that address the three types of critical voice:
- Demanding Parent
- Punitive Parent
- Guilt-inducing Parent
These will include:
- Chairwork on demanding parent voice
- SRM on demanding parent voice
- Chairwork on guilt-inducting parent voice
- SRM on guilt-inducting parent voice
- Chairwork on punitive parent voice
- SRM on punitive parent voice
There will be time for Q&A and spot coaching.
We will be doing deep work. For that reason please feel free to take a break at any point.
Walking Meditation / Breaks / Journalling
Most hours will consist of a 20 minute walking meditation session and a 40 minute seated guided meditation session. The walking meditation sessions will serve to help integrate the previous guided meditation session. Brief walking meditation instruction will be offered. Alternatively these 20 minute sessions can be used to journal or to just take a break. All three will help you integrate the previous guided meditation session.
Who is this for?
This program is for those of us who...
- Want to become more joyous
- Want to enjoy meditation more
- Are looking to improve our psychological health, especially those who have tried other healing modalities with disappointing results.
- Have problems with exploration and self development, relationships and emotional regulation
- Want to optimise our psychological health
- Want to understand the early foundations of our psychological development
Shared interest and social support can make meditation practice, study, and healing much easier. Make friends in the course on the slack channel and invite friends who you think could benefit to participate in the course.
These are some of the benefits you will have by the end of the program
- Better understanding of the inner critic, which is an aspect of every psychological disorder (Scott Kellogg)
- Greater understanding and compassion for psychological problems and vulnerabilities that affect you and others.
- Better able to stay grounded when experiencing inner criticism.
- Less identification with your psychological maladies and quirks (ego-dystonia with your maladaptive schemas).
- Less blame of self or others.
- Greater acceptance of yourself and your needs.
- Opportunities to find accountability partners to meditate with
- A sense of camaraderie as a result of seeing how our psychological difficulties are rooted in common experiences that affect us all.
- Slack group with which to discuss and share experiences and consolidate what you are learning
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are experiencing any technical issues relating to accessing the material or live sessions, please get in touch with us. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
We can be reached with our online contact form.
This is what participants of prior retreats have to say:
Cedric I would just like to say thanks for your wisdom and knowledge of attachment issues and repair. The work you are doing really helps me and I have never come across anything as transformative for me as your meditations. Thank you so much.
Thank you for this beautiful retreat. Feels like this is what I needed in the moment.
Great retreat, thank you so much Cedric. There is something special about Tonglen and using it with the schemas feels so healing. I feel hopeful and inspired to keep working with Tonglen.
Thank you for continuing to make these classes. When I am able to attend, they make a really positive contribution to my mental health :)
Registration has closed.
The recording is available in our Store:
Please note: This program is offered for educational purposes only and is not group-therapy, counselling or any kind of other psychotherapy, nor is it a substitute for the aforementioned. The instructor Cedric Reeves is a meditation teacher, not a psychotherapist, counsellor, or otherwise therapist.