Buddhist PracticesTable of Contents
Here are a selection books, research papers, and essays covering Brahma Viharas related topics for individuals seeking to deepen their understanding of the four qualities of the mind:
- The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh – Introduction to the Four Brahma Viharas, mindfulness and compassion practices in Buddhism.
- Radiant Mind: Essential Buddhist Teachings and Texts by Peter Harvey – A comprehensive guide to Buddhist teachings and practices, including Brahma Viharas.
- The Four Immeasurables: Cultivating a Boundless Heart by B. Alan Wallace – Explores the practice of Brahma Viharas as a path to developing a compassionate and loving heart.
- The Art of Power by Thich Nhat Hanh – Discusses the use of Brahma Viharas as a means of transforming conflicts and conflicts in personal and professional life.
- Buddhist Meditation and the Modern World by Linda Walbridge – Examines the role of Brahma Viharas in Buddhist meditation practices and their relevance in contemporary society.
- Awakening the Heart: East-West Approaches to Psychotherapy and the Healing Relationship by John Welwood – Integrates Eastern spiritual practices, including Brahma Viharas, into Western psychotherapy and therapy relationships.
- The Path of Compassion: Living Buddhist Ethics by Freda Bedi – A practical guide to living a compassionate life in the Buddhist tradition, including the practice of Brahma Viharas.
- Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzberg – Explores the practice of metta (loving-kindness), one of the Brahma Viharas, as a path to greater well-being and happiness.
- The Power of Metta: A Guide to Loving-Kindness Meditation by Shan Sinha – A practical guide to the meditation practice of metta and its role in developing compassion and reducing attachment.
- The Four Immeasurables: Cultivating a Limitless Heart edited by Jean Smith – Collection of teachings and practices related to Brahma Viharas, including metta, compassion, empathetic joy and equanimity.
Research Papers & Essays:
- The Effect of Loving-Kindness Meditation on Interpersonal Attachment by J. A. Fredrickson, Mindfulness – An investigation of the impact of metta meditation on attachment styles and interpersonal relationships.
- The Brahma Viharas and the Reduction of Anxiety and Depression: A Pilot Study by K. P. S. Iyengar, Journal of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – A pilot study investigating the potential of Brahma Viharas practice in reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- The Brahma Viharas as a Path of Awakening by B. Alan Wallace, Journal of Buddhist Ethics – An examination of the Brahma Viharas as a path of spiritual awakening in Buddhism.
- The Brahma Viharas and Emotional Well-being: A Study of Theravada Buddhist Monks in Thailand by Prapassorn Chaiyawat, Journal of Positive Psychology – A empirical study of the relationship between the practice of Brahma Viharas and emotional well-being in Thai Buddhist monks.
- Loving-Kindness Meditation and Attachment Issues by Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein, The Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy – An exploration of the relationship between metta (loving-kindness) meditation and reducing attachment in individuals with attachment issues.
- The Brahma Viharas and the Development of Empathy and Compassion in Psychotherapy by Sandra Wieland, Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training – An examination of the role of Brahma Viharas in developing empathy and compassion in psychotherapy.
- Brahma Viharas and Mental Health: A Study of Theravada Buddhist Practitioners in Sri Lanka by Shanika Wijesekera, Journal of Mental Health – A empirical study of the relationship between Brahma Viharas practice and mental health in Sri Lankan Theravada Buddhist practitioners.
- The Brahma Viharas and Cultivating Emotional Intelligence by B. C. Wallace, Emotional Intelligence – An examination of the role of Brahma Viharas in developing emotional intelligence and emotional regulation.
- Brahma Viharas and Mindful Parenting: A Study of Thai Buddhist Mothers by N. P. Soonthorndhada, Journal of Parenting and Child Development – An empirical study of the impact of Brahma Viharas practice on mindful parenting in Thai Buddhist mothers.
- Brahma Viharas, Forgiveness and Mental Health: A Study of Buddhist Practitioners in Indonesia by S. M. Santosa, International Journal of Mental Health and Wellbeing – An investigation of the relationship between Brahma Viharas, forgiveness, and mental health in Indonesian Buddhist practitioners.